Saturday, February 16, 2013

Aus 2013

If you would have asked me at age 18 when I first step foot on UNB campus what it was going to be like I would have likely told you scary..

Forward 5 years (just for perspective - that is half a decade). I just want to express to the readers of this blog the meaning of being on a varsity team. It is so much more than the practice schedule, competitions and best times. Being part of UNB Swimming is so much more - it transforms you. 

Being a varsity athlete and part of UNB Swimming is so important. We are truly an elite group of athletes, and human beings, as are all the VREDS. Being part of the VREDs community not only improved my swimming times from age group swimming but improved who I am as a person. I can honestly say without this program and institution I am not sure I would be who I am today.

Each person who is involved with the VREDS changes with their time there. The environment fosters greatness and instills it into younger children through the awesome volunteer programs we run such as Reading with the Reds and Heads Up with the Reds. That is what is so special about being a VRED - being the best you can be and supporting your community.

As I finish my last AUS Championships I can say the wisdom I learned from my university career is far greater than ever expected. Be who you want to be in this world, and give wholesomely to those around you. I will always have a place in my heart for my team, and the lessons I learned along the way. VREDS Pride is something that never dies. I ask that each person on my team considers the greatness they achieve in and out of the pool. 

With that in mind AUS Championships were last weekend. We had a ton of season best and lifetime best times. We had people show their heart and pride - not even a blizzard could stop us. This was the end of the season for most of us but I wish Cuba Garcelon and Danielle Losier the best of luck at CIS Championships next weekend. 

For all AUS results please go to: http://www.gopanthersgo.ca/notice/2013/02/subway-aus-swimming-championship-live-results 

Also a very special congratulations to graduating swimmers Shauna Manning, Danielle Losier, Monica MacDonald, Ryan Steeves and, myself Melissa Hilchey. 


Just to show our pride here's a little picture to show you the banner we made for this year!







No comments:

Post a Comment